THE HOLY ROSARY
The Rosary is composed, principally and in substance, of the prayer of Christ and the Angelic Salutation, that is, the Our Father and the Hail Mary, it was without doubt the first prayer and the principal devotion of the faithful and has been in use all through the centuries, from the time of the apostles and disciples down to the present. It was only in the year 1214, however, that the Church received the Rosary in its present form and according to the method we use today. It was given to the Church by St. Dominic, who had received it from the Blessed Virgin.
How to pray the Holy Rosary
On the Crucifix
1. Make the Sign of the Cross In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Say the Apostles Creed
1.I believe in God, the Father almighty creator of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell, and the third day he rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of God, the Father almighty. From there He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
Our Father (First Bead)
2. Our Father, who art in heaven hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
Hail Mary (next 3 beads)
3. Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, Now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
(on the string before the next bead)
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
O my Jesus, forgive us of our sins. Save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls into heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy. Amen.
Announce the Mystery of the day and Repeat the Our Father, 10 hail Marys, Glory be, and O my Jesus prayers for every Section.
Hail Holy Queen (on the medal at the End)
Hail Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our life,
our sweetness, and our hope.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.
To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning
and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn then most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this, our exile, show unto us,
the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. Pray for us O Holy Mother of God, That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ. Amen.
Let us pray.
O GOD, whose only begotten Son,
by His life, death, and resurrection,
has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary,
we may imitate what they
contain and obtain what they promise,
through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.
The JOYFUL MYSTERIES of the Holy Rosary (Monday and Saturday)
1. The Annunciation of Gabriel to the Virgin Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
2. The Visitation of Virgin Mary to Elizabeth (Luke 1:39-56)
3. The Birth of Jesus (Luke 2:1-21)
4. The Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple at Jerusalem (Luke 2:22-38)
5. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem (Luke 2:41-52)
The SORROWFUL MYSTERIES of the Rosary (Tuesday and Friday)
1. The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-56)
2. Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Matthew 27:26)
3. Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Matthew 27:27-31)
4. Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Matthew 27:32)
5. The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Matthew 27:33-56)
The GLORIOUS MYSTERIES of the Rosary (Wednesday and Sunday)
1. The Resurrection of Our Lord (John 20:1-29)
2. The Ascension of Our Lord into Heaven (Luke 24:36-53)
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Virgin Mary and the Apostles at Pentecost (Acts 2:1-41)
4. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven
5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Revelation 12:1)
The LUMINOUS MYSTERIES of the Rosary (Thursday)
1. The Baptism of Our Lord in the Jordan (Matthew 3:13-16)
2. The Wedding Feast at Cana (John 2:1-11)
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of Heaven (Mark 1:14-15)
4. The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Matthew 17:1-8)
5. The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper (Matthew 26)
The Fifteen Promises of Mary Granted to those the Blessed Virgin Mary promised to Saint Dominic and to all who follow that "Whatever you ask in the Rosary will be granted." She left for all Christians Fifteen Promises to those who recite the Holy Rosary. Imparted to Saint Dominic and Blessed Alan
- Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
- I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.
- The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
- The Rosary will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire for eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.
- Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.
- Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
- I shall deliver from Purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
- The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.
- You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
- All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
- All who recite the Rosary are my sons and daughters, and brothers and sisters of my only Son Jesus Christ.
- Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.